Friend of the Court Contact and Communicating Procedures
Email our office : firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please be advised that due to confidentiality and privacy, we may not be able to respond with email and you may receive a correspondence through a phone call or mailing.)
FOC Fax Number: 989-895-4220
FOC "Interactive Voice Response" (IVR) System: 1-989-895-4295 (local)
The IVR is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and provides information regarding payments, enforcement, payment coupons, direct deposit, office hours and location. The IVR provides step-by-step instructions or allows experienced users to move quickly through the system.
To access case specific information, it is necessary to enter your social security number. The first time you access the system you will be asked to establish a PIN number. You will need to use that PIN number
each time you request payment information.
Payments are received and disbursed by the Michigan State Disbursement Unit (MiSDU). You may be connected with a MiSDU operator by selecting option number 1 (within the FOC IVR). Please contact the MiSDU for payment related questions.
TELEPHONING THE FOC OFFICE
Please note: Telephone messages are not always included in the Friend of the Court record. Submitting information in writing ensures your correspondance will be made a part of your case record.
**Direct Phone Lines**
The extension numbers of the FOC staff assigned to your case are available in our Staff Page.
A receptionist is available to assist you between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Given the volume of telephone calls and complexity of some issues, receptionists will answer basic questions. For detailed case related questions, our receptionists will forward your call to the appropriate staff member. Please be reminded that our Family Evaluators do not accept phone calls or walk-ins. Your question MUST be submitted in writing.
DO'S AND DON'TS
Report all changes of your address, employment, health care coverage, and income to the FOC in writing within 21 days.
Refer to your court docket number (yr. + 4 digits) when telephoning and on all correspondence as well as payments.
Send payments with coupons to the Michigan State Disbursement Unit - the FOC only accepts cash.
Review your court order, the FOC website or FOC Handbook before contacting the FOC with questions.
Respond immediately to all FOC communications.
- Telephone, write, or e-mail the referee or judge. Judges and referees communicate with parties only during hearings.
Make repeated telephone calls. FOC rules require that calls be returned within two business days.
Include correspondence with payments. All correspondence and new information must be sent to the Bay County FOC and not to the Michigan State Disbursement Unit.
Call your Family Mediator / Custody Evaluator. They will only take your requests / correspondences in writing.
What you should know:
State law requires that all payments must be distributed electronically. Payees should sign up for direct deposit
if they do not wish to be sent a child support debit card.
• Understand that information you provide by telephone is not documented in your case file.
• FOC staff may take up to two business days to return telephone calls.
• FOC records are confidential. However, Michigan Court Rules give the other party access to your correspondence with our office.
• Walk-ins are seen only on a limited basis. You should not expect to be seen at the FOC office without an appointment.
• You may be asked to sign a Request for IV-D services which will allow the FOC to provide services described in the overview of FOC services.
• You may opt out of FOC services if you file a motion and the court approves your request. The court cannot approve your request if one party on your case receives public assistance, if arrears have existed on the case or if a parenting time violation has occurred in the past twelve months, or if there is evidence of domestic violence or unequal bargaining positions on your case or if the request is not considered to be in the best interests of your child(ren).
Bay County Friend of the Court
1230 Washington Avenue, Ste 660
Bay City, MI 48708
PO Box 856
Bay City MI 48707-0856