Mary Jo, RN
Paige, BSN, RN
989-895-4325 Ext. 3
What is Children Special Health Care Services (CSHCS)
It is a program for children and some adults with special health care needs and their families. CSHCS helps persons with chronic health problems by providing:
- Coverage and Referral for medical specialist based on your child's health problems.
- Family-Centered Services to support you in your role as the primary caretaker of your child.
- Community-Based Services to help you care for your child at home and maintain normal routines.
- Culturally Competent Services that demonstrate an awareness of cultural differences.
- Coordinated Services to pull together the services of many providers who work within different agencies.
Children must have a qualifying medical condition and be 20 years old or under. Persons 21 and over with cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, or certain blood clotting disorders also may qualify for services.
Why Should You Join CSHCS
- Our staff will work with you to ensure that you or your child receive the very best care. We help with the following:
- Paying specialty medical bills
- Learning about specialty providers like doctors, hospitals and clinics
- Coordinating health insurance benefits
- Covering co-pays or deductibles
Qualifying Medical Conditions
CSHCS covers more than 2,700 diagnoses. Some medical conditions that may qualify for CSHCS are:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cleft Palate, Cleft Lip
- Liver Disease
- Club Foot
- Deformed Limbs, Amputations
- Myelodysplasia, Spina Bifida
- Certain Vision Disorders
- Paralysis, Spinal Injuries
- Cystic Fibrosis or other Chronic Lung Conditions
- Hearing Loss
- Insulin-dependent Diabetes
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Certain Heart Conditions
- Epilepsy, Hydrocephalus
- Neurological Disorders
- Kidney Disease
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Hemophilia or other Blood Clotting Disorders
For more information visit, www.michigan.gov/csnfund, contact the Health Department or the Family Center at 1-800-359-3722.
The Family Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (Family Center)
A parent-directed section of CSHCS. Some services include:
- Family Phone Line 1-800-359-3722
- Advising CSHCS from the family perspective
- Conference scholarships
- Parent-to-Parent support
- Grandparent resources
- Sibling workshops
The Children with Special Needs Fund
A donor-supported program within CSHCS that may help families buy certain equipment such as:
- Adaptive Recreational Equipment
- Air Conditioners/Central air
- Ceiling Lifts or Stair Lifts
- Electrical Service Upgrades
- Platform Lifts (when wheelchair ramp cannot be installed ADA-compliant)
- Therapeutic Specialty Bikes/Tricycles
- Transit Options
- Turney Seats
- Vehicle Accessibility Devices (van lifts, ramps, restraint systems, tie downs, etc.)
- Weighted Blankets/Vests
- Wheelchair Ramps (residential)
If you would like to enroll in the Children Special Health Care Services Program or need more information, please contact us at **
989-895-4235. Your child's medical condition, not your income, determines if you qualify for this program.
Immunizations can be given to any CSHCS client and their family members, including special accommodations and needs, every 3rd Thursday of the month
. Please call (989) 895-4235 to schedule an appointment.