Qualifying disabled veterans are eligible for an exemption from paying real property taxes on their principal residence.
Contact the Bay County Department of Veteran Affairs if you are in need of benefits or have questions on eligibility for the disabled veterans exemption.
- Must have been honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States
- Must be a Michigan resident
- Meets one of the following criteria:
by the United States Veteran's Affairs (VA) to be permanently and
totally disabled as a result of military service and entitled to
veterans' benefits at the 100% rate
- Has a certificate from the
VA, or its successors, certifying that he or she is receiving or has
received pecuniary assistance due to disability for specially adapted
- Has been rated by the VA as individually unemployable
- Must have some form of documentation from the VA
unremarried surviving spouse of the disabled veteran is eligible for
the exemption based upon the eligibility of their spouse
The Michigan Department of Treasury has further information on the exemption, including FAQs, and full text of the law.