Submitting a FOIA Request
Your request must sufficiently describe the requested public record with relevant details such as names, dates, and department retaining the records, so that the FOIA Coordinator can find the requested record within a reasonable amount of time and with a reasonable amount of effort. Additional identifying information may be requested in order to complete a search for the requested records. A written request submitted electronically is not deemed received by a public body’s FOIA coordinator until one business day after the electronic transmission is made.
Please try to avoid “any and all.” A request must “describe the public records sufficiently to enable the public body to find the public records…” MSA4.1801(3). If the scope of your request is too broad for County personnel to locate the requested records, your request may be denied or you will be presented with a request for a deposit.
Unless you can prove that you qualify to make an indigency request, ALL request for records MUST include the following information, no matter what format is used to submit the request:
1. Complete name of the person making the request
2. Address of individual making request
3. Valid telephone number or email address
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests to Bay County may be submitted by any of the following means:
- Online: Submit FOIA Electronically.
- Email FOIA Coordinator: email@example.com (Please include FOIA in the subject line of the email and your complete contact information in the subject of your email.)
- Fax: (989) 895-2094 (If you choose this option, please call our office to guarantee receipt of the fax.)
- In-Person/By U.S. Mail: Bay County FOIA Coordinator, 515 Center Avenue, Suite 402, Bay City, Michigan 48708.