Submitting a FOIA Request
Any individual who wishes to submit a FOIA request must provide Bay County with “a written request that describes a public record sufficiently to enable the public body to find the public record…” MCL 15.233 (1). Please include all relevant details such as names, dates, locations and the department retaining the records, so that the FOIA Coordinator can find the requested record within a reasonable amount of time and with a reasonable amount of effort. If the scope of the request is too broad for County personnel to locate the requested records, the request may be denied or the individual will be presented with a request for a deposit.
A written request submitted electronically is not deemed received by a public body’s FOIA coordinator until one business day after the electronic transmission is made.
Unless you can prove that you qualify to make an indigency request, ALL request for records MUST include the following information, no matter what format is used to submit the request:
1. Complete name of the person making the request
2. Address of individual making request
3. Valid telephone number or email address
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests to Bay County may be submitted by any of the following means:
- Online: Submit FOIA Electronically.
- Email FOIA Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org (To ensure a prompt response, email requests should contain the term "FOIA" or "FOIA Request" in the subject line.)
- Fax: (989) 895-2094 (If you choose this option, please call our office to guarantee receipt of the fax.)
- In-Person/By U.S. Mail: Bay County FOIA Coordinator, 515 Center Avenue, Suite 402, Bay City, Michigan 48708.